Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Braised Short Rib Taco with Avocado Salsa


At first I was just going to eat leftovers and just call it a night. But I figured since I had to peel and prep some papaya salad for tomorrow's party I had some time on my hands to whip something up. Looked in the freezer and I found 3 boneless short ribs. Then I looked in the refrigerator and saw some avocados that I didn't want to go bad since I'm leaving town for the weekend. So this is what I came up with.


Short rib ingredients:

3 boneless short ribs (1 1/2 lbs)
3 teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons freshly cracked black pepper
2 cups chicken stock
4 Roma tomatoes (double quartered)
2 sprigs basil (chopped)
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 medium shallot (diced)
2 garlic cloves (diced)
2 teaspoons sugar
2 tablespoons olive oil
Several tortillas

Directions:

Evenly coat short ribs with salt and pepper. In a hot pan add oil and ribs until all sides are dark brown. add shallots and garlic. Immediately add chicken stock after shallots are transparent. Then add all other ingredients. I cheated and used a pressure cooker and cooked for 35 minutes. If you don't have a pressure cooker you can cooked in a regular stock pot with the lid covered until meat is fork tender. After meat is tender, continue to reduce liquid in pot until reduced half way. Stain liquid into separate bowl and mix in with short ribs. This will keep it moist and tender.

Avocado salsa ingredients:

3 medium avocados (diced)
5 cherry tomatoes (quartered)
1/4 white onion (diced)
Pinch of kosher salt
1/4 juice of lime
Several sprigs of cilantro (roughly chopped)
1 jalapeno (diced)

Directions:

Mix all ingredients well but be careful and do not work it to hard. You want a salsa and not mushy guacamole.

Finally, combine meat and salsa on top of tortilla and enjoy!
Published with Blogger-droid v1.5

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

omg... that looks soo good.. can i add this to the list please..? =) actually im gonna be good and try to make it at amys.