Monday, October 4, 2010

Pork Belly Stew (Thom Kem/Thit Kho)


Nothing reminds me more of my mom's cooking than this dish, this is true Southeast Asian comfort food. The pork belly itself pretty much melts in your mouth before you can even swallow it and the egg yolks just asks you to slurp down the the sweet and savory broth. After dieting last weekend by eating nothing but lettuce wraps for 5 days, I surpassed my goal of losing 7 pounds by an extra pound, I felt like I deserved a gift. No one should ever try to figure out how unhealthy this dish is, instead just save it for one special guilty pleasure day like myself, we all deserve one every so often.

Ingredients:

1-1.5 pound pork belly (cut into 2-3 inch pieces)
7 eggs (boiled and peeled)
8 tablespoon fish sauce
4 tablespoon oyster sauce
6 tablespoon sugar
4-6 garlic cloves (minced)
1 large shallot (minced)
3 inch piece galangal root (1/4 slices)
5 whole star anise pods
1 can bamboo shoot (thinly sliced)
6 cups of water

Directions:

In a large stock pot or dutch oven, caramelize the sugar on medium high heat. Then add garlic and shallots until they are candied. Add water and all other ingredients immediately. Cover the pot and continue cooking for 2-3 hours on medium low heat. Serve over Jasmin rice and allow rice to soak the broth a bit and enjoy this sweet and savory dish.

No comments: