Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Braised Short Rib Rice Crepes



This dish always reminds me of my Vietnamese step-grandmother. When she used to own a restaurant my brother and I would always get a large plate of banh cuon. Of course she made it with more of the traditional ingredients such as ground pork, wood ear mushrooms, and onions. I would never turn down a plate of this; when made the traditional way. But me being me, I felt like I had to change it up a bit. Instead of ground pork, I used braised short ribs, marinated the same way with fish sauce, salt and pepper. I replaced the wood ear mushrooms with fresh shiitake mushrooms and the onions with shallots. For the crepe, however, I kept it very traditional, rice flour and tapioca starch, cooked on a non-stick pan since I don't have the traditional cloth steamer.

Short rib ingredients:

1 pound boneless short ribs
1 garlic clove (finely diced)
1 large shallot (thinly sliced)
1 cup chicken stock
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup shiitake mushrooms (stems removed, caps thinly sliced)

Directions:

Once again I went with the pressure cooker to save some time. You should too if you have one. Sear the meat on all sides thoroughly, and then add shallots and garlic. Wait for about a minute or two then add the chicken stock and mushrooms. Cook under high pressure for 35-40 minutes. Release the pressure and begin shredding meat with a fork. Strain the mushrooms from the liquid and add the mushrooms to the shredded meat, mix well and set aside.

Rice flour crepe ingredients:

7 ounces (1 1/4 cup) tapioca starch
8 ounces (1 1/2 cup) rice flour
6 cups water
1 teaspoon salt

Directions:

Combine all ingredients well (make sure you mix before pouring onto pan). Now comes the tricky part. I actually failed about 5 times before I got the method and temperature right. If anyone out there the would like to sponsor me with a new non-stick pan, I would be more than grateful. Lightly coat the pan with oil and preheat on medium high heat (about 3 minutes) then add crepe mixture with a ladle and swirl pan around, cover for about 30 seconds and then cook for another 30 seconds. You'll want to flip the crepe on to a lightly oiled plate (good luck with this too, you'll want to flip hard and fast).

Apply a small spoonful of the meat on the crepe and begin folding. Keep on doing this until either the filling or crepe batter is gone. Serve with accompaniments and the same sauce you would use for egg rolls (nuoc mam/jeow som van).

Accompaniments:

Blanched bean sprouts
Cilantro
Scallions
Fried crispy shallots
Pork meatloaf (cha lua/yaw)
Cucumbers
Published with Blogger-droid v1.5.9

No comments: