Friday, September 17, 2010

Spicy Shrimp Salad (Lahb Goong)



Traditionally lahb is made of different varieties of protein such as chicken, beef, fish, pork, and shrimp. For the most part the vegetables and herbs remain the same. The key herb that makes the dish is mint (pak hom lahb). For this dish I've added fresh dill, which I believe is a perfect compliment to the shrimp. Also, many people will make this with raw shrimp but since I don't live near the coast and I don't know how fresh it really is, I've decided to quickly saute the shrimp instead. This is one of my favorite lahb dishes and also my friends from New York. To my friend in New York, I hope your wife will make this for you.

Ingredients:

1 pound peeled shrimp (roughly chopped)
2 scallions (thinly sliced)
1/4 cilantro (loosely packed)
1/4 mint leaves (loosely packed)
8-10 kaffir lime leaves (chiffonade cut)
1/4 dill (roughly chopped)
1 large shallot (thinly sliced)
6 fresh Thai chili peppers (thinly sliced)
3 teaspoon roasted rice powder
1 teaspoon dried crushed chili peppers
Juice of 1 1/2 lime (more or less, depending on how tart you like it)
3 tablespoon fish sauce
1 teaspoon kosher salt



Directions:

Quickly saute shrimp in canola oil on medium high heat. Try not to over cook the shrimp. Strain all the liquid and let the shrimp cool down. Toss all the shrimp in a mixing bowl and add all other ingredients and continue tossing until everything is mixed thoroughly.

Normally this dish is served with sticky rice and accompaniments of lettuce, cucumbers, and just about any other type of vegetables and herbs. If you have fresh bean sprouts don't forget to toss that into the salad as well, it'll give the dish a refreshing crunchy texture.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.5.9

No comments: