Thursday, September 2, 2010

Lobster with Risotto and Lobster Bisque



I went to the market today to grab some water for the weekend guests and I just so happen to stumble upon a live lobster sale. That got my mind racing a million miles per hour. Should I or shouldn't I buy a lobster? Should I wait for my long delayed lobster battle? Well, if you see the picture posted above, you already know the answer. Now I was thinking, how can I fully utilize this lobster? I felt sorry for the little crustacean at first but there's no turning back now, it's already sitting on my cutting board (I also didn't want its sacrifice to go in vane). So off the tail goes and the rest of the body and claws went into a boiling pot of water to make some stock. I used the stock for the risotto and bisque (I consider this to be a trio of lobster dishes). The bisque also contains the meat from the knuckles and claws. I really wanted to use this lobster to its full potential. Hours later this is what the result was (I was also making some spicy beef noodle soup at the same time, for the weekend that's why it took a couple of hours).

Lobster stock ingredients:

10 cups of water
Lobster head
Lobster claws
1 tablespoon kosher salt

Directions:

Bring water to a boil and add all ingredients. Wait for at least 20-30 minutes before using the stock. Also always keep the stock hot.



Lobster bisque ingredients:

1 shallot minced
1 garlic clove minced
3 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 cup lobster stock
1 tablespoon flour
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon tomato paste
4 tablespoon heavy cream
Lobster claw and knuckle meat (chopped)

Directions:

Add butter, shallot, and garlic to a small stock pot on medium high heat. Add all other ingredients except for lobster meat and use an immersion blend to bring all the components together. Add lobster meat at the very end and keep on simmer until ready to serve.

Lobster stock risotto ingredients:

1/4 cup arborio rice
1 cup lobster stock (more or less until rice is cooked)
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
3 tablespoon heavy cream
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
4-6 button mushrooms thinly sliced

Directions:

Add rice and 1/4 of lobster stock to a skillet on medium high heat. Continue cooking and stirring until stock is reduce by 75% then add another 1/4 of the lobster stock. Continue this process until rice is almost cooked completely. Then add cream, cheese, and mushrooms. Continue cooking and stirring until risotto thickens.



Lobster tail ingredients:

Lobster tail
Pinch of garlic powder
Pinch of paprika
Pinch of kosher salt
1/2 tablespoon butter
1 sprig fresh parsley minced

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375°. Cut a slit down the middle of the tail with shears. Pull the meat out and let it sit on top of the shell. Clean meat and shell under cold running water. Pat dry and sprinkle garlic powder, paprika, salt, and parsley on to of the tail. Place butter on top of the dry ingredients. Put lobster tail on baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.5.8

No comments: