Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Cheese Steak Sandwich



I initially started calling this a "Philly" cheese steak, but being from Dallas (home of America's team - Dallas Cowboys!) I didn't want to put "Philly" as a prefix for any of my dishes. Someone was disappointed that I didn't post anything yesterday and threatened me if I didn't post anything today (I'm sure you can make this dish, it's right up your alley). After a long day at the driving range I really didn't want to cook but I didn't want to disappoint the future editor of my blog (I also didn't want to eat fast food). I had to think about what ingredients this person would be comfortable with and it took a lot of thought but I decided I wanted something heavy and filling (there goes my diet) as well especially after a great session at the range. I had some bread leftover from having curry the other day and I also found a ribeye steak in the freezer, so why not a cheese steak.

Ingredients:

1 pound ribeye sliced paper thin
6 medium shiitake mushrooms (for that extra umami flavor, you can use regular button mushrooms too)
2 garlic cloves (minced)
1 onion sliced thin
2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoon canola oil
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 medium size (6-8 inches) french bread/roll

Directions:

Saute onions in olive oil and add a pinch of salt and pepper on medium high heat. Cook until onions are translucent and caramelized. Set aside.

In a separate pan add canola oil and turn heat to high. Add beef, mushrooms, garlic, salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. Cook for about 3-5 minutes. Set aside.

Cheese sauce ingredients:

1 teaspoon flour
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/2 cup heavy cream (you can substitute whole milk)
1/4 cup grated pepper jack cheese
2 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
Pinch of salt
Pinch of pepper

Directions:

On low-medium heat, add butter and flour (mix well). Then add cream and continue stirring while adding a little bit of the pepper jack cheese, wait for the cheese to melt then continue adding more cheese. Continue this method with the Parmesan cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Bringing it all together:

Toast your bread until it is crisp on the outside, then slice the bread in the middle (length wise) leaving the end attached. Add beef and mushroom mixture, add cheese sauce, add onions, then more cheese sauce. Serve with pickles or pepperoncinis.



Published with Blogger-droid v1.5.8

No comments: